I realized over this past week that when I wear my big, big girl pants, the house seems to find its ebb and flow quickly. My attitude affects everyone at home including the dogs. If I am strong, upbeat and happy everyone smiles, if I am a hot mess it fels like everyone in the house is going to rip each other apart.
As usually my mind is all over the place right now so I'm pretty sure this post will be all over the place as well. ANYWAYS...
Today is Martin Luther King Day! I am off work, the kids are at school. I'm not sure why the schools up here don't observe this federal holiday but today I am perfectly fine with that. In my mind this day feels epic. I have a list a mile long of things I plan to accomplish. Running, cleaning, baking, organizing, laundry and a dozen other small motherly feats I intend to tackle. Last night I felt like I was going to conquer this house and my to do list while still finding time to watch a few shows on the Food Network. Funny thing is the kids will be home in 6.5 hours and as of yet I have don't absolutely jack crap. I'm still drinking coffee, sitting in the dark, enjoying total silence, blogging. I love three day weekends!!
I FINALLY found a second bathing suit for Hawaii. I have one that I bought our last summer on Cape Cod, which I obviously have not worn since then. I wanted a second one because honestly who spends two weeks in Maui with only one swimsuit. Well good grief, who knew buying a swim suit from the internet without ever trying them on would be such a nightmare. Four online orders/exchanges later, success! I was obviously looking for a suit that didn't look like I was a grandma, allowed this body to get an all over tan, while holding in my "girls" so that when I was done snorkeling or swimming I don't come out of the water with a boob hanging out.
I typically don't endorse brand names but, this suit is from Patagonia, a favorite brand in this house. Patagonia makes quality clothing and this top is the only one I found that holds everything in really well. The top might look a little skimpy but honestly is a sport top that offers great coverage and keeps the girls tightly locked down. I even bent over and jumped up and down. Anyone out there who is genetically well endowed, I know you understand me.
I recently started falling back in love with Pinterest. I'm not sure why I fell out of love with it but I did. Just seemed like a lot of pinning was going on but I wasn't really doing anything with them. Not to mention I don't really have time to sit down and rifle through pictures of gourmet kitchens and cute outfit recommendations. So I just stopped pinning. I use pinterest 99% of the time when I am making my weekly grocery list. I love the recipe ideas and am always looking for an easy, healthy way to feed my family. This past weekend I pinned some good options. I don't typically share food or recipes on this blog but I thought these were great enough to share. If you want these recipes you can find them on my Foodie board.
Today is Martin Luther King Day! I am off work, the kids are at school. I'm not sure why the schools up here don't observe this federal holiday but today I am perfectly fine with that. In my mind this day feels epic. I have a list a mile long of things I plan to accomplish. Running, cleaning, baking, organizing, laundry and a dozen other small motherly feats I intend to tackle. Last night I felt like I was going to conquer this house and my to do list while still finding time to watch a few shows on the Food Network. Funny thing is the kids will be home in 6.5 hours and as of yet I have don't absolutely jack crap. I'm still drinking coffee, sitting in the dark, enjoying total silence, blogging. I love three day weekends!!
I FINALLY found a second bathing suit for Hawaii. I have one that I bought our last summer on Cape Cod, which I obviously have not worn since then. I wanted a second one because honestly who spends two weeks in Maui with only one swimsuit. Well good grief, who knew buying a swim suit from the internet without ever trying them on would be such a nightmare. Four online orders/exchanges later, success! I was obviously looking for a suit that didn't look like I was a grandma, allowed this body to get an all over tan, while holding in my "girls" so that when I was done snorkeling or swimming I don't come out of the water with a boob hanging out.
I typically don't endorse brand names but, this suit is from Patagonia, a favorite brand in this house. Patagonia makes quality clothing and this top is the only one I found that holds everything in really well. The top might look a little skimpy but honestly is a sport top that offers great coverage and keeps the girls tightly locked down. I even bent over and jumped up and down. Anyone out there who is genetically well endowed, I know you understand me.
I recently started falling back in love with Pinterest. I'm not sure why I fell out of love with it but I did. Just seemed like a lot of pinning was going on but I wasn't really doing anything with them. Not to mention I don't really have time to sit down and rifle through pictures of gourmet kitchens and cute outfit recommendations. So I just stopped pinning. I use pinterest 99% of the time when I am making my weekly grocery list. I love the recipe ideas and am always looking for an easy, healthy way to feed my family. This past weekend I pinned some good options. I don't typically share food or recipes on this blog but I thought these were great enough to share. If you want these recipes you can find them on my Foodie board.
Remember that baking I said I planned to do today, this is it. Banana Coconut Bread. I sounds delicious
I have been thinking a lot lately about my kids and how this next move and our lifestyle of constant change and moving has affected their perspectives, their personalities and who they are becoming. With babies, moving seems challenging because babies come with a lot of stuff, bring sleepless nights, unique stressors and are completely dependent upon the parents. On the upside though, you don't think about their social circles, activities and schooling. You just have to move them from point A to point B. Moving with older kids brings a totally different set of challenges. My kids are quickly approaching their teen years and moving them now completely stresses me out. Kids at their age are mean, vicious and less inviting or accepting. It becomes more about how you look, what you wear, who you hang out with and not about what you have to offer. I do truly wish that my kids could have stayed in one school and have lifelong friends.
On the flip side though, my children are very unique because of this lifestyle. Both are very strong, adaptable and knowledgeable. They are very accepting of others and are sympathetic and caring. I know without a doubt my son would not be the person he is if he had not spent all of his short life bouncing back and forth between Alaska and Cape Cod. We have travelled, met wonderful people and experienced a lifetime of adventure in just a short amount of time. We have exposed our kids to every opportunity and variety we could find in each location. We have taken them camping in the remote Alaskan wilderness and we have walked the entire Freedom Trail in downtown Boston. We have seen bears fish in the wild and we have purchased fresh caught lobsters off the docks in Portland, ME. We have seen the sunset in one of the western most states and watched the sunrise in the eastern most state.
I know this lifestyle has been beneficial and good to us but the thought of moving and starting over again is daunting and nerve wracking. I hope and I do believe the good out weight the bad. Up until now its always been an adventure or a vacation that has us ending up in a new house. I do anticipate though that at some point the kids will be angry with us for moving them. They will be resentful and hurt that they have to say goodbye again. I just hope that they understand and that when they are older they look back on their lives with us and are grateful for all the miles we logged, all the moves we made and all the houses we have lived in.
Its hard to believe that in 8 months we will be submitting a new list of options and preparing for our next transfer.
Well, I've successfully wasted 1/6th of my morning. Don't get me wrong, I love blogging and keeping a log of my life but I have much to do and really want to feel accomplished. So to wrap this up, my Trav will be home in 18 days. We are going to Maui in 52 days and its not raining today. I am smiling!
Lastly, thank you Dr. King for being the intelligent, peaceful man that you were and for the work that you did in blurring the lines between Black and White. We are a better people because of you and your dream.







3 comments:
on the up side of moving, this next one could be your last and I tell my girls (Tobin doesn't care) they get to re-invent themselves each time they start a new school. sounds kind of fun huh? be a whole new you with each move.
So excited for you guys to go to hawaii! I need to do a little bathing suit shopping myself! :)
Tiff you always have such a great attitude about stuff. Can't we just all move together in a big caravan and you can pep talk all of us the whole way. Maybe take my kids to school on the first day so that they don't see me acting like a basket case.
Post a comment (3)