This past year has been eye opening in the parental department. We have a son who has been the little hazel eyed light of our lives but he is turning into a very opinionated, strong willed, extremely intelligent teenager. He is finding his own course and trying to tread his own path which I guess feels like both a gift and a curse.
We have given him great freedom this past year to find out who he wants to be and we have also set the bar high on our expectations for him. We obviously require good/great grades, we require participation in some form of an extra curricular activity, we require that chores be maintained at home and we require that he carry himself in such a way as to not only give off a good perception of himself but also be a good reflection on his parents.
This year has had its up and downs to say the least. Arguments, eye rolling, doors slamming, grades slipping, his phone privileges revoked a few times and we have felt defeated. What we have always known though is that we love our boy, he loves us and that we have to be parents first and friends second.
We are in charge of setting this kid up for success, in charge of helping him know his potential, in charge of making him accountable, making sure he knows hard work, making sure he can make smart, strong relationships and helping him become the best father, husband, friend and citizen he has the potential to become.
All this adds up to nights of arguing, tears on my part, long talks, hugs, smiles, love and the revocation of all electronics. Unfortunately I am not very good at sticking with discipline. I talk a big game and I come out of the gates really strong but then I start to waiver, start to give in and my Trav has to remind me that we have to be parents first and friends second.
I'm not sure if that lesson has been harder on our boy or myself and Trav. What I do know is that we love that kid and we know he is top notch. Kids always make mistakes, they make bad decisions and they think we can't see them rolling their eyes when we are standing right in front of them. We know that while we are lecturing him, he is telling himself we are idiots. What we know even more is that he loves us. Even though Trav and I have to be parents first and friends second we are ALWAYS family.
*It's been a very long week. I'm exhausted! On Monday I contemplated quitting my job to stay home and be the full time mom I feel like I should be. It is now the end of the week and I am still employed. I was able to find my sense and take some deep breaths before doing something crazy. The week is winding down and to celebrate the weekend and the glorious sun shine we were blessed with we headed out to eat dinner by the sea. I truly believe that these family moments are what keep us strong. We always enjoy one anothers company and are never lacking for laughs and conversation.
Now I know these pictures make us look like a bunch of boozers but honestly I only had one beer the whole time and my son consumed a rootbeer even though he is holding an IPA!!
Now I know these pictures make us look like a bunch of boozers but honestly I only had one beer the whole time and my son consumed a rootbeer even though he is holding an IPA!!





No comments:
Post a comment (0)