This post is 100% for me not you. I write on this blog for two reasons. The first is for you. Those of you that read my stuff and look at my pictures. Our family and close friends who keep tabs on us. The other reason is for me, myself and the years down the road when I will look back on our lives on this blog and remember.
So...this post is for me. I don't want to have a reason to forget the time my son was labeled a 'Spiritual Gangster!'
Last week on Friday Travis' middle school hosted a motivational speaker. The topic the speaker touched on were about things like, taking action, listening to your inner self, standing up for yourself and being the change you seek. At some point in the assembly the speaker was holding an object in his hand telling the kids repeatedly to 'take action' and 'be bold'. At that point, my Travi jumped over three rows of bleachers, ran across the gym, approached the speaker and grabbed the object from the speakers hand. He turned, faced his fellow students and the faculty. They all fell silent, except for the speaker. He cheered and yelled....Travi, had taken action, he had been bold. My son spent the remainder of the time standing next to the motivational speaker, holding a sweatshirt he had taken and in the end gave his own motivational words to his fellow classmates.
By the time I got home from school and came in the house the first thing I noticed is that my Travi was wearing a sweatshirt with the word 'BLESSED' on it. In small letters underneath it said "Spiritual Gangster". He told me the story. That kid never ceased to amaze me. He is so confident and true to himself. He doesn't worry about what others think, he just leads with his heart. He is so much more at his age then I ever was. Truly....
For a kid who will soon be moving on to his fifth school in 8 years I am in awe of how adaptable and strong he is. Anyone who thinks being a military kid is easy is crazy. Anyone who thinks teenage kids are always welcoming and friendly to new students is kidding themselves. This lifestyle for kids can be brutal and challenging. Yet my boy finds a way to be confident and strong.
When I grow up I want to be as confident and settled in my own skin as my teenage son is!!
He's a badass Spiritual Gangster.
No comments:
Post a comment (0)