SLIDER

The Stuff Weekends Are Made Of...

19 August 2014



I have found new value in my weekends!  Needless to say, my weekends are now about catching up on neglected chores, lost sleep and enjoying the moments that I loose during the week.  The weekdays feel like a total grind right now.  We wake up, we work, we come home, we cook dinner, we clean and then shower and go to bed.  I feel like...actually I know that I have given up having little moments with my family by jumping back into the grind of full time.  So, the weekends are now about capitalizing on our time while still managing to get caught up on laundry and stock the fridge with groceries.  I want it all but I know that in the chaos of the day some things just have to give.  Those summer days of lounging with my kids, sipping coffee on the couch before work are gone.  My early runs in the beautiful sunshine or in the misty morning...so long!! The days of rushing home to chase and catch the breaks of sunshine mother nature gives us before dinner time are fleeting.  I have to realize that while this job is a blessing it comes with sacrifices.  I am giving up in some areas to have more in other areas.  This is a good opportunity for me, for us, but I am definitely still mourning the loss of the time I had on my hands when I was working my glorious part time gig.  

With that being said, this past weekend has busy.  We are multitasking but still trying to relax and enjoy ourselves.  We did all the mundane chores and tasks required to keep this house clean and our family running.  We still found some time to do what we like.  Saturday my boys took the time to reap the benefits of a break in the weather and hiked to the alpine and claim their first buck of the season.  Hunting in Alaska is very unique, definitely not like the lower 48.  My boys love to be outside, love to hunt, bring home good, healthy, organic meat and they LOVE the journey it takes to get there.  Sitka Black Tail are gorgeous animals and we respect them greatly.  They are smart, very smart and it can be difficult to take them.  This was Travi's first time witnessing a successful hunt and his dad was extremely proud of him.  Memories for sure....

                                  
(iphone photos are the best I have...no Canon's up in the alpine)
                             


Currently, wild salmon are running the rivers and returning to their spawning grounds all over Alaska.  Here is Sitka we are lucky to have rivers full of spawning salmon right now.  We enjoy going down to watch the salmon make their journey.  Its a beautiful journey, one that is vital to Alaska's existence on many levels.  Salmon is a wonderful fish and their innate ability to survive and die is nothing short of mind blowing.  For those of you that sit down to eat and enjoy a salmon dinner in a restaurant or those of you who purchase wild salmon from the market you really should take the time to understand how amazing that fish really is.  We frequent the rivers right now rain or shine to stand is awe of them.  


My Trav makes short home movies with his GoPro for us to enjoy...here he is acquiring footage of the salmon under the water.


There was lots of this going on...




School starts next week.  I am torn on whether I feel ready for the kids to return or not.  I enjoy the freedom that summer allows and I can do without the fights that homework, chores, activities and exhaustion bring us, not to mention I thrive in routines.  What I know I am looking forward to is the fall season.   Change is already in the air and on the ground.  The ground cover in the forest is turning yellow, the tips of the leaves are changing and in the early morning there is a chill in the air.  It happens early here, in less then a month it will be cold and we will barreling towards winter.  Fall is a short season in SE Alaska.

I am already thinking about my winter, wool lined boots, my favorite fall scented candles, the scarves hanging in my closet, the northern lights, adding blankets to our beds and my amazing amber colored sweater I have not pulled out in months.  Soon our weekends will not be about capitalizing on sunshine but more so for hunkering down to avoid the weather and trying to ignore the darkness.

Nonetheless, my weekends are like gold to me!  

No comments:

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger