So I pulled into the school parking lot today to pick up Taylor. As I am turning the car off a woman I do not know approaches the car. This is the conversation that follows....
Woman: Hi, excuse me, do you have a son?
Me: Yes I do.
Woman: Does he have brown hair and glasses?
Me: Yes he does.
Woman: Does he swim on the swim team? Did he swim this morning?
Me: Yes and yes.
At this point I thinking, Oh crap!!
Woman: Can I just tell you that your son approached my younger son after swim practice this morning in the locker room. Your son proceeded to let my boy know that he was doing an awesome job and working hard.
Me: Thank you for telling me this!
Woman: My son came out to the car and said how good it felt to have a "big kid" tell him he was doing a good job. My son has some confidence issues and what your son did for him this morning was unbelievable. Thank you so much for your son. I just had to let you know this.
Me: I am glad to hear things like this about my boy and I appreciate you telling me.
She then walked away. I proceeded to call his dad at work, reiterate the story while fighting back tears.
So many times as a parent you question yourself and wonder..."Am I doing a good job?" "Am I raising them right?" "Will my kids be good people?"
This women who I don't know reassured me that my Trav and I are doing a good job. My son, is capable of seeing beyond himself. Offering a younger boy a compliment that I am sure Travi has no idea meant so much. Today, as always I feel lucky and honored to be his Mom. I am proud of him and the person that he is on the inside.
Not to mention, isn't it funny how two mothers who don't know one another, can have their boys make simple statements about each other and it have such an emotional impact on her and I. Just goes to show, even the simplest, brief conversations can mean so much.

No comments:
Post a comment (0)